
I took this photo from the middle of Avenida 9 de Julio, or the 9th of July Ave (the 9th of July is Argentina's Independence Day). All the
porteƱos claim that this is the widest avenue in the world. The other thing they like to point out is that you can't cross it completely in one traffic light cycle, not without running. One night out with some new climber friends, we found ourselves on one side of the avenue on our way to a club. The light had already been red for a while and seeing this, my friend abruptly took off at a full sprint. I watched them for half a second, then realized I had better get my butt going. I barely kept up in my flip-flops, and I made it just before the sea of taxis resumed control of the avenue.
Here's a photo of one of my teachers, Jorge Firpo, giving a demonstration at Escuela Argetine de Tango. I take most of my classes in this studio, from a variety of teachers, male and female. But Firpo is definitely one of the better teachers. He always likes to offer a demonstration of what he taught during class, at the end of class. This time he had an exceptional partner, someone who visited obviously just to dance with him, and they were impressive.
Here's a photo of the other side of the same studio, during another class. It overlooks Calle Florida street, a chaotic, pedestrian street full of street performers and tourist traps.

AAAAHHHHHHH! Watch out for these! This is a Buenos Aires
collectivo, or bus. They're everywhere, and probably the best way to get around, cheap as hell, but man can they be lethal. They rip around like NASCAR. If you don't wave for them to stop, they won't (once, late at night and way up on the north end of town, I was waiting for a bus; I bent over to tie my shoe, and when I looked up, my bus flew by at top speed, never slowing down). And all you need to do is put your foot on the first step of the bus, with it's doors still open, and they're off, ready or not. Hang the heck on, buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment